www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:38:25 GMT
On 29/07/2011 12:16 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Ceki Gülcü<ceki@qos.ch>  wrote:
>>
>> As I was intrigued by this question, so I looked up the earliest
>> version of sonatype-aether [1]. All file headers in [1] say:
>>
>> /*
>>   * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one
>>   * or more contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
>>   * distributed with this work for additional information
>>   * regarding copyright ownership.  The ASF licenses this file
>>   * to you under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the
>>   * "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance
>>   * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
>>   *
>>   *   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
>>   *
>>
>> The first sentence clearly indicates that the code is licensed to the
>> ASF under CLA - that much seems beyond dispute.
>>
>> The code was donated to the ASF on 2010-04-02 albeit committed to
>> github. Later changes do not invalidate the initial donation.
>>
>> Furthermore, noting that the second clause of the ICLA states that the
>> grant is perpetual, assertions about any further requirements, e.g. a
>> software grant, contradict clause 2 of the ICLA, which I assume no one
>> would knowingly dare to do.
>
> There is a difference between what we are legally entitled to do and
> what our policies are.  I encourage you to read the following email by
> Roy Fielding on this matter:
>
> http://s.apache.org/QeN

My message was an implicit response to Roy's message that you cite. How
can you have binding agreements (or any policy for that matter) where
words and sentences no longer carry their straightforward meaning?

If the original grant is not valid, why would the newer one be? Either
the original grant is a grant or no other grant is a grant.

--
QOS.ch, main sponsor of cal10n, logback and slf4j open source projects,
is looking to hire talented software developers. For further details,