www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marshall Schor <...@schor.com>
Subject License / Notice files in binary packaging that aggregates several smaller Apache-licensed components
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:38:03 GMT
The Apache UIMA project produces several "add-ons", each separately built, each
having appropriate LICENSE and NOTICE files.

We also have a binary assembly that takes several of these add-ons, and puts
them together into one binary package, for convenience.

In the past, we have used a process where we prepare the LICENSE and NOTICE file
for this aggregation by manually concatenating the LICENSE files (eliminating
duplicates) to create the assembly LICENSE, and similarly for the NOTICE file.

I think I've seen in other places (non-Apache) that some aggregations do things
like write "Please refer to the individual components for their LICENSE and
NOTICES".   This would certainly make future maintenance of this assembly,
easier.  The assembly top level project itself has nothing in it other than the
assembly instructions and pom boilerplate to make it go; its source is Apache
licensed.

Is that something we can do for our binary assembly of these things?

-Marshall Schor