www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: european's Apache foundation?
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:12:19 GMT
Hello list,

Our aim is a project about contextual mathematics manipulations; the ASF project we were thinking
of was (not exclusively) OpenOffice which is only in Incubation at the ASF.  All this is still
complete speculation.
I now understand the strategy to be followed.

If I understand well, the only way if I was a fully external person is to go at the projects'
pages, find the "powered by" page and follow contacts from there. Maybe it would be good to
advertise more the services offered for each of the projects; somewhat the way Moodle.com
does.
I believe the friendliness of the APL with commercial and non-commercial enterprises may benefit
of such a strategy.
Another way may be to have one major company to sustain the project, as LucidImagination does
it for Lucene and Solr...

But this is something that should be defined at project level.

paul

Le 4 juil. 2011 à 23:15, Daniel Shahaf a écrit :

> And plenty of individual Members and committers are located in the EU,
> too.  (and might be interested too)
>
> Upayavira wrote on Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 20:38:02 +0100:
>> The ASF does not fund development work, so there'd be no basis for them
>> to receive money from the EU even if they did have a European wing.
>> However, there's plenty of ASF oriented companies who could work with
>> the EU to develop code that is hosted at Apache.
>>
>> I'd be curious to hear (private or public) what the project is. My own
>> employer, for example, might be interested.
>>
>> Upayavira
>>
>> On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 21:15 +0200, "Paul Libbrecht" <paul@hoplahup.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Mmh,
>>>
>>> the foundation itself is one and an acknowledged body. That is true.
>>>
>>> My idea was to make the ASF a partner of an EU project. It would have
>>> meant being able to pay dedicated community members for the project's
>>> work. Surely that work can be done in another institution's name. And
>>> maybe it would have meant some administrativia.
>>>
>>> It may be the word "representative" is not good... sorry for it.
>>>
>>> paul

partner but I seem to realize that there's no "branch" or "representative" of the foundation
in Europe.