www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: IP Clearance
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:49:28 GMT
I hope I'm finding the right words. I'll try ;)

Imo all the iCLA discussion is overrated ^^

The iCLA is a 'safety net' for the ASF. All the 'you can take that code and do what you like'
is already granted if a person releases a piece of code under the Apache License!
What the iCLA does is additionally telling us 'yes I'm really aware that I must have written
that code myself'.

So it doesn't really change much if someone doesn't have an iCLA on file _as_long_ as noone
else comes and claims that this certain code is NOT written by the committer but from another
person and it's _not_ free source. Or if someone claims the same for a patent.

At least that's my take on it.

Can anyone confirm/clarify this view?

txs and LieGrue,
strub