www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org branding
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:36:00 GMT
On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:51 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2011, at 3:59 AM, Graham Lauder wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 13:53 -0700, Ted Dunning wrote:
> >> As I mentioned in separate email, there isn't an Apache Tribal Nation.
> >> There is a Navajo nation, but the rest of the southern Athabascans
> >> known as Apaches are divided into many tribes.
> >
> > Indeed, that was obvious from the research I did, however the same is
> > true of Maori and amongst them, there are different dialects and
> > traditions.  I have been trying to get a Maori Native Language Project
> > going for OOo for a number of years, but the differences have prevented
> > getting a single translation sorted.  However when something affects
> > Maori as a whole there is very strong unity in protecting those things
> > they see as being representative of their cultural identity and they
> > have used IP law effectively in this.
> >

> >> What you are saying is akin to talking about Spanish-speaking South
> >> America or German-speaking Europe as a country.  They just aren't.
> >> And the Apache Nation isn't.
> >>
> > Then that is to our advantage, though I have noted some combined
> > activism on some fronts, and some groups that represent themselves as
> > "Apache Tribal Nation", let's hope my wariness is unjustified.
>
> Hi Graham,
>
> I am Maori (Raukawa / Ngati Huri), so I am aware of your concerns.
> Sorry I can't help with a translation -- I was raised in California.

Tena koe Roy
Darn, you had me all excited there for a moment!  :)

> We were also fully aware of those concerns when we chose the name Apache
> back in 1995.
>
> Please understand that "Apache" is the Navajo word for "enemy".  It is not
> the name that the various Indé tribes that the US Government called Apache
> use to refer to themselves other than in a historical sense, nor is such a
> name considered "intellectual property" just because it is associated by
> one group of people with some other group of people.

Excellent

> Of course, none of that will stop some loonies from claiming they have
> the right to represent "Apache".  It simply isn't a legal or moral concern
> in the US, since we have always used the name with respect and the folks
> who actually do represent the native american tribes know their real names.

Yes well we know about that sort of idiocy down here as well, thanks for
that Roy, much appreciated, I now know where stand.

> BTW, my personal preference is to call our product Apache OOo and leave the
> OpenOffice.org website as a joint forum and redistribution site for all
> variations of the suite, docs, tutorials, etc.  However, such decisions
> are typically made by the people doing the work.

It will be an interesting discussion, I'm torn I must admit, The old OOo
guy in me wants everything to stay the same, but the marketer in me is
bouncing about wanting a new toy to play with!  :)

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,