www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org branding
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 10:59:13 GMT
On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 13:53 -0700, Ted Dunning wrote:
> As I mentioned in separate email, there isn't an Apache Tribal Nation.
> There is a Navajo nation, but the rest of the southern Athabascans
> known as Apaches are divided into many tribes.

Indeed, that was obvious from the research I did, however the same is
true of Maori and amongst them, there are different dialects and
traditions.  I have been trying to get a Maori Native Language Project
going for OOo for a number of years, but the differences have prevented
getting a single translation sorted.  However when something affects
Maori as a whole there is very strong unity in protecting those things
they see as being representative of their cultural identity and they
have used IP law effectively in this.

> What you are saying is akin to talking about Spanish-speaking South
> America or German-speaking Europe as a country.  They just aren't.
>  And the Apache Nation isn't.

Then that is to our advantage, though I have noted some combined
activism on some fronts, and some groups that represent themselves as
"Apache Tribal Nation", let's hope my wariness is unjustified.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,