www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org branding
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 20:50:53 GMT
On Tue, 2011-07-26 at 13:26 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 15:54 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:

> >> It might be worth asking this question separately.... and also include
> >> the results of whatever research you may have done on what specific
> >> Trademarks the Apache Tribal Nation may have and why you believe that
> >> there might be confusion in the case of an Office product.
> >
> > I take it that's a "no" then.
>
> Um, that's a bit... rude.

Please, many apologies if I offended, it wasn't supposed to be rude just
what I deduced from your remark

> Trademarks simply are not my area of expertise.

Fair enough, I've sent a mail to trademarks@. With a little luck they'll
be able to clarify.  The one thing that we have onside is that "Apache"
has been used by others:  Boeing obviously for the helicopter and an
offshore power boat manufacturer over which there was a Federal court
battle for ownership of the TM.  That was with another boat manufacturer
however.  Boeing use is obviously very high profile but I haven't been
able to find any mention of them having any deal with the Apache Tribal
Nation over it's use.

It may not ever be an issue, but experiences at this end of the world
just makes me a little wary.

Cheers
GL

> - Sam Ruby