www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Graham Lauder <yori...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: OpenOffice.org branding
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:34:41 GMT
On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 15:54 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org> wrote:
> > I have a couple of questions with regard the ownership and legal
> > position with regards the gift of the OpenOffice.org trademarks from
> > Oracle.
> >
> > There has been some pressure to change the name.
> >
> > Apache Policy states the name of the project will be prefaced by Apache.
> > Does this also have to apply to the product?  ie; if the project is
> > called Apache OpenOffice is it possible then to still use the
> > trademarked name?  ie OpenOffice.org
>
> Perhaps this would be best addressed to trademarks@apache.org?

OK Thanks.

> http://www.apache.org/foundation/contact.html
>
> > The gift of the trademark on "OpenOffice.org" is worth a considerable
> > amount, does Apache have the resources to register another trademark if
> > the decision is made to change the name.
>
> The ASF has recorded a number of trademarks in the past, and
> presumably will continue to do so.

Excellent.

> > Does Apache have an agreement with the Apache Tribal Nation to use the
> > name on globally marketed consumer products.
>
> It might be worth asking this question separately.... and also include
> the results of whatever research you may have done on what specific
> Trademarks the Apache Tribal Nation may have and why you believe that
> there might be confusion in the case of an Office product.

I take it that's a "no" then.

No confusion, it's just that there has been a worldwide movement amongst
indigenous peoples to take back any "Intellectual Property" that has
been misappropriated or used without permission.  New Zealand Maori have
been leaders in this and have successfully stopped the use of the name
"Maori" or any associated IP in the courts and have won damages in some
cases.  Other indigenous peoples are following suit.

Right now, because Apache does not have any high profile consumer
products, the name use is probably under the radar, but adding the name
to a reasonably high profile consumer product that has many indigenous
peoples being members of the NLC, may be problematic in the future.

I just wanted to know where we stand

Cheers
GL

--