www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Tom Hobbs <tvho...@googlemail.com>
Subject Fwd: Foundations of Jini 2 Programming
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:12:59 GMT
Sorry, I'm reposting this to a more appropriate legal-list.

Thanks,

Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Hobbs <tvhobbs@googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Subject: Fwd: Foundations of Jini 2 Programming
To: legal-internal@apache.org
Cc: private <private@river.apache.org>

Hi all,

The River project needs some advice about wanting to host a Creative
Commons version of some documentation.

To cut a long story short, before Sun Microsystems donated the Jini
code to ASF (and thus birthing the Apache River project) a chap called
Jan Newmarch wrote a book about Jini.  This book is available for free
on the internet under the CC license, it's also published in non-free
dead-tree format via APress.

As you can see from the email chain below, Jan has kindly agreed to
let the River project host his original (electronic) version of his
book on river.a.o - assuming we keep the correct attributions,
copyright headers etc.  The project fully intends to bring this book
up to date in respects to referencing River (as the successor to the
Jini *implementation*) and also with new functionality, build
instructions, and other things.

So my question is, how do we go about this?  I'm assuming that the
hosting the electonic copy is easy to do - we just update our website
and there it is.  Things get more interesting if/when we talk about
asking APress to publish a new version.  Note, that will be in the
distant, but hopefully still visible, future.

It's probably worth mentioning that the included email chain contains
everything that has been done so-far in relation to this
documentation.  So if something is impossible/improbable to do from a
legal standpoint, I just have to send an email back to Jan saying
"Thanks very much, but we're not allowed."  Or words to that effect.

What I know about licenses, copyrights etc can be written in very
large letters on a very small piece of paper, so any help/advice will
be very gratefully received.

My apologies if this is the wrong list, can someone point me to the
correct list if it is, please?

Many thanks,

Tom