www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Melissa Warnkin <missywarn...@yahoo.com>
Subject Travel/Medical Insurance for TAC Attendees
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 16:10:45 GMT
Good afternoon,

I'm the EA for ASF; I'm helping TAC on a project regarding travel/medical
insurance.

Over in TAC land (Travel Assistance Committee), it has been ongoing talk  as to
whether or not we NEED to be getting travel insurance (to include  Medical
Insurance) for the attendees that we provide travel assistance to.

The TAC has decided we would offer travel insurance assistance, up to $100, to
the traveler, if needed.  We would include a  disclaimer in our initial
questionnaire to them.  What we want to know, is the best way to do this - is a
tick box disclaimer ok, do we  need a separate legal document written by a
lawyer, etc ..

Since this is an insurance policy, the traveler would be required to obtain
his/her own coverage.  I would imagine we should have two separate options
written up.  1) Have a clause written up if the traveler is requesting our
financial assistance, with a statement that the traveler is responsible for
obtaining his/her own insurance and thereby releasing us from any
liability/responsibility; 2) have a clause written up declining insurance and
releasing us from any liability/responsibility.  In either case, the traveler
would check the appropriate box.

Can you assist us with writing this up? I certainly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you so much.

Have a great day,
Melissa