www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patents and contributions in Contributor License Agreement
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 17:31:49 GMT
On 05/03/2011 12:35 AM, David Gr├╝nbaum wrote:
> How would you interpret the situation where a contribution only
> covers parts of a patent claim? Would that still grant a license?

As far as I know, there's no such thing as partial infringement.  If the
work doesn't fully implement a contributor's patent claim either before
or after the contribution, and the contribution doesn't implement one
independently, then I do not believe a free license must be granted by
the contributor.

Doug

[Note: I am not a lawyer.  This is not legal advice.  I do not speak for
the ASF in this message. This is just some guy on the internet telling
you what he thinks.  If you need legal advice, hire an attorney.]