www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: A latent disclosure walked into a bar ...
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 19:05:44 GMT
Jim Jagielski asked:
> So, in general, you feel that reading a patent, whether you think
> you infringe, think you dont't, or have no idea what infringe
> means, is generally a safe thing to do?
>
> I am honestly curious because we seem to go round-and-round
> with some people saying to avoid patents like the plague and
> others saying reading them are no big deal, no matter what.

Jim and others,

I have said, and I will say again, that the entire social purpose of patents
is to make inventions public. The notion that ignorance is bliss in such a
situation is ridiculous.

Others may disagree. I will say that I will willingly defend Apache Software
Foundation from stupid accusations of willful infringement merely because
Apache members try to understand a patent by reading it.

This is not general legal advice outside of Apache. Do what your own company
attorney orders you to do. But in Apache, read and learn!

/Larry