www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LGPL dependencies for JMeter
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 00:11:53 GMT
On 31 March 2011 22:34, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> sebb wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 16:16:00 +0100:
>> As far as I can make out, using reflection
>
> You may want to define 'reflection' for the minority in the audience who
> are lawyers who don't know Java.

Normally when Java code refers to something (e.g. a method) in an
external library, the build will fail if the library is not present.
Reflection is a technique for dynamically accessing objects (e.g. a
method) where the target is resolved at run-time.

In both cases, if the library containing the target method (etc.) is
not present at run-time, an error will occur.
Such errors can be trapped, and the application can take suitable
action, e.g. disabling the features that depend on the library and/or
reporting the error to the user.