www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: OGNL Proposal: issue resolved
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2011 21:11:25 GMT
Hi Simo,

It looks to me like everything is in place to propose incubation.

The software grant is already filed (which is not even a requirement
to start incubation).

I don't see any issues either with the name OGNL as the project name,
should the project decide to use it. Aside from being unpronounceable
(always a good sign) it's clear to me that the owner of the name is
Marc An(Drew) Davidson, and he's granted Apache a standard license.

Best regards,

Craig

On Apr 13, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Simone Tripodi wrote:

> Hi again lawyers,
> just to follow-up the discussion, OGNL is owned by Marc Andrew
> Davidson, that's the original author, that started OGNL development in
> the far 1998.
>
> Then, it was moved to OpenSimphony only in the 2004 - later moved to
> its own domain.
>
> I'd say that nobody can claim OGNL trademark unless Drew, that has
> been included in the Initial Committers list, and has donated OGNL
> codebase signing the SoftwareGrant.
>
> Sounds like the proposal is almost ready to be submitted, what do
> you think?
> Simo

> http://www.99soft.org/

Craig L Russell