www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From David Grünbaum <dv.grunb...@gmail.com>
Subject Patents and contributions in Contributor License Agreement
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:50:26 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently conduction a master thesis on Android Open Source Project, and as a law student
I am studying the legal aspects of the project.
My question is how to interpret the Contributor License Agreement? It uses the same wording
as the one provided by the Apache foundation and that is why I feel that this forum might
be the right place to answer my questions.

Can a small bug fix imply a patent license?

How should you interpret “necessarily infringed by your contribution(s)”?

If you are contributing to a part of a functionality, for example changing a header or a parameter)
will that contribution be interpreted as necessarily infringing any of my patents if I hold
a patent or patents on the full functionality of that part of the software.

What is the difference between contributions and combinations of contributions?

I hope that my questions makes sense and are possible to answer.

Best regards
David
David Grünbaum
M.Sc student Intellectual Property Law
School of Intellectual Capital Management
University of Gothenburg, Chalmers University of Technology

Phone: +46 (0)705 841 341
Mail: dv.grunbaum@gmail.com

Make a difference - www.seaweedcenter.com