www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:47:43 GMT

On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:58 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> It isn't.  If you don't distribute the LGPL'd library then the LGPL library restrictions
don't apply.  This is why it may be acceptable as an optional runtime dependency. However,
Greg is quite right that users would normally expect that there default compile and build
would not include anything that isn't wholly compatible with the Apache license. Some organizations
use open source management tools that prevent any software under prohibited licenses from
being brought in to the environment. In these cases they would be unable to build the project.
That is unacceptable.

This issue is 'optional'... If the codebase is designed to do A, B and
C, and not-including the "optional" package prevents it from
doing B, then it is a dependency we don't want to impose on our
downstream users and developers.