www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 03:04:19 GMT
Yes, it's a compile time dependency.  I think I've been clear on that.  At runtime, there is
no dependency if you don't actually do a polygon query.  If I'm wrong on that last point (I
haven't tried not including the JTS) then I will definitely fix it.

~ David
From: Mattmann, Chris A (388J) [chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:28 PM
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Subject: Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party

Before this issue is closed, I'd encourage folks to actually take a look at your patch, where
it clearly includes compile time dependencies on JTS:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12469714/GeoHashPrefixFilter.patch

Just search for JTS in it.

If your patch is included in the Lucene/Solr source, that means that the tarball, apache-lucene-X.Y-src.tar.gz,
the bits that go onto the ASF mirrors will include your contrib module with compile-time dependencies
on JTS, an LGPL library.

Cheers,
Chris