www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:29:39 GMT
FYI the issue I presented here is not unique on the Lucene/Solr project, in which the Berkley
DB jar (Sleepycat license -- strong copyleft) is downloaded dynamically by default if not
present so that this Lucene module may compile -- but is not otherwise distributed/packaged
with Lucene/Solr.  This is what I want to do with JTS too.

I'd like to re-iterate that JTS (nor Berkely DB or other incompatibly licensed code) is *NOT*
packaged/shipped with Lucene/Solr at runtime.

> Can you make the library optional at build-time?

If we _have to_ in order to comply with licenses then we will even though it'll surely make
things awkward.

I hoped I was going to be told explicitly yes or no on this issue but I'm not seeing this
yet.  I avoided interjecting my perspective to my first message because it's irrelevant if
it is already known wether this is allowed or not allowed.  So now I'll give perspective,
FWIW:

The incompatibly licensed code may technically be "used" at build/test time but it is not
in any "meaningful way" (i.e. its intended purpose), insofar as no code aside from build/test
tools themselves are used in a meaningful way at build/test time.  Building/testing is a means
to an end.  It's that end, software that does something for which it was designed to do, that
either includes or does not include (by default) the problematically licensed code.  As I
understand the *L*GPL, the *L* part is there so that you can link to it without incurring
the rest of the GPL restrictions.  I propose that we do that, at build/test time (quite normal).
 So what's the problem?  Maybe it's on the ASL side, for which I've always thought is more
permissive than any kind of GPL.

It would be good if the conclusion of this discussion results in applicable FAQs getting updated
to ad clarity to this situation.

~ David Smiley