www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:55:27 GMT

On Mar 31, 2011, at 12:12 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

>> The downstream user would not need anything more unless they want specific optional
functionality (I'd guess 1% of users).

> Where did you pull that # from? I'd be shocked if only 1% of the users of Lucene and
Solr care about spatial search? If it's that unpopular it's amazing that it came up as a bullet
to include in the release announcement for Lucene/Solr 3.1:

> http://s.apache.org/tD

1% was a wild ass guess as to the percentage of Solr users who would use the features of my
patch that use JTS.  Basically, that capability is polygon search and reading the WKT representation
of shapes.  Many users simply want a simple box or circle filter on points, which I'd guess
is maybe 20% of all users.

~ David