www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:09:55 GMT
Can you make the library optional at build-time? I.e. if the library
is not present, then don't build that part of the code.
That would allow users who don't want to download the dependency to
build from source.

But that still leaves the issue of whether ASF releases can include
the compiled glue code in binary release artifacts, since that would
presumably require the developer to download the library.

Seems this area does need some clarification, because it's difficult
to see how one can implement the #optional dependency, apart from
dependencies such as JDBC implementations which use an API that does
not have the restriction.

On 30 March 2011 08:18, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> Right.  I saw the optional at runtime but missed the required at build.  Indeed, that
is not specifically covered.  I have mixed feelings about this, and while I wouldn't go so
far as to say it is verboten I would say that a) it is highly discouraged and b) it probably
could be refactored so that the build dependency could be eliminated as well - which probably
has the same effect as saying it isn't allowed.

> On Mar 29, 2011, at 8:01 PM, Greg Stein wrote:
>
>> "JTS becomes required to build & test Lucene/Solr"
>>
>> I don't see how that fits under the "optional" terms. My read is that
>> a *required* LGPL library is verboten.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 22:23, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> What you are describing sounds exactly like what http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional
was intended to answer.  You timing is pretty good since that issue was resolved and added
to the page roughly a week ago.

>>> Ralph

enhancing its support for geospatial search. I have java code in a patch in JIRA SOLR-2155
but I'm seeking that it get committed.  The patch uses the LGPL licensed Java Topology Suite
(JTS) library for part of its functionality.  That part is segmented in the code such that
if JTS is not included with Lucene/Solr at runtime then Lucene/Solr will still work, and even
the rest of my patch that doesn't use it.  I modified Lucene/Solr's ant based build script
to automatically downloads the JTS jar so that Lucene/Solr with my patch will compile and
tests will run.  This is triggered by default in the build  -- i.e. JTS becomes required
to build & test Lucene/Solr.  The patch *does not* cause JTS to be included in any packaged
deliverable of Lucene/Solr.

terms of applicable licensed software, namely Apache & LGPL?  This is the key question
I wish to get adjudicated by authorities at the ASF.  I've read these sources already, carefully:

the sense that my approach is satisfactory.  But IANAL (I'm sure that comes up often on this
list!), and uncertainly amongst at least two others on the Lucene/Solr list remains.  I wish
to get this settled.