www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:36:16 GMT

On Mar 31, 2011, at 11:22 AM, Robert Muir wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Smiley, David W. <dsmiley@mitre.org> wrote:
>> In light of further clarifications (and apparent reversal of opinions) on ASF policy
by Ralph Goers and Greg Stein, I'm going to modify my patch so that the JTS using portion
of its capability is not required at build/test time (and of course runtime) unless the person
doing the build explicitly requests its use.  I'm not yet sure which particular means of many
possible I'll choose but I'll propose something within the Lucene/Solr community where that
choice is pertinent.

> 2. Thanks for alerting me to the fact that the "contrib/db" module has
> a viral dependency. I don't like this, and with my PMC hat on, it
> would be my opinion that we should remove this dependency completely.
> I don't think lucene/solr should include viral dependencies.

Just to be clear, it is an optional runtime dependency.  As Robert pointed out, we are likely
axing the module in question anyway (and that was started before this thread)

One other thing to suggest:  Perhaps someone should just ask JTS if they would switch to a
compatible license and put out a release under the new license?   Obviously the code would
still need to be vetted, but it would at least show that the author is willing to help it
get used at the ASF.

-Grant