www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:52:40 GMT

On Mar 30, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:04 PM, Smiley, David W. wrote:
>
>> Yes, it's a compile time dependency.  I think I've been clear on that.
>
> No you haven't. You said it's optional. That's not strictly true since the LGPL infected
code that's part of your patch would be part of the tarball that the Lucene project has distributed
in the past (and will distribute) aka its contrib as part of its source.

Technically that statement is not correct. The LGPL allows clients to reference the interfaces
without the code itself having to be licensed under the LGPL, so there is no "infection" in
this particular case.

Ralph