www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Advice on how to address an objection to our CCLA
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 15:40:54 GMT
Note the wording on http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas. All committers must submit an ICLA.
For a corporation that has assigned employees to work on an Apache project, a Corporate CLA
(CCLA) is available.

When the individual signs the ICLA they are saying that they have the right to commit everything
they commit.  If the individual commits something they had no right to it will need to be
removed no matter whether it was their employers or someone else's.  If the individual has
verbal assurance from their boss that they can commit but then they get a new boss or some
other change occurs the individual is at somewhat of a risk.  The CCLA protects the individual
from that happening.  It isn't required that all committers submit one but does protect those
who can get their employer to do so.  If the corporation doesn't submit a CCLA than the burden
falls on the committer and their ICLA.

Ralph

On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> An employer of a potential committer feels unable to sign the CCLA. I'm wondering how
best to address this with their legal department.

> Their issue is with Section 5:
>
> "You represent that each of Your Contributions is Your original creation (see section
7 for submissions on behalf of others)."

> The concern is that the employer does not feel able to make this assertion. They feel
that they would have to establish and enact procedures to carry out their own due diligence
before being able to do so.

> Any suggestions about how I might alleviate their concerns?
>
> The employer is willing to allow their employee to sign the ICLA and contribute without
a CCLA. Assuming the employer owns copyright I believe this is not possible, is that correct?