www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advice on how to address an objection to our CCLA
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 16:56:13 GMT
On 04/03/2011 16:47, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
> On 3/4/2011 9:40 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:
>>
>> When the individual signs the ICLA they are saying that they have the right to commit
everything they commit.  If the individual commits something they had no right to it will
need to be removed no matter whether it was their employers or someone else's.

> And therein lies the rub...
>
>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>> An employer of a potential committer feels unable to sign the CCLA. I'm wondering
how best to address this with their legal department.

>>> Their issue is with Section 5:
>>>
>>> "You represent that each of Your Contributions is Your original creation (see
section 7 for submissions on behalf of others)."

> The employer is granting license where each contribution does represent
> their original creation.  If the ICLA holder commits -anything else- other
> than their employers code, that act is on them, and this does not/should not
> represent a liability, and their concerns should be moot.  I'd encourage them
> to read the CCLA in parallel to the ICLA, since the ICLA is the document that
> binds each of their employees individually and in conjunction to the CCLA...

Thanks Bill, that was my understanding too. Glad to have that confirmed.

> ...unless you are talking about a *code grant*.

No this is a CCLA.

Ross