www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Advice on how to address an objection to our CCLA
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 16:47:50 GMT
On 3/4/2011 9:40 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> When the individual signs the ICLA they are saying that they have the right to commit
everything they commit.  If the individual commits something they had no right to it will
need to be removed no matter whether it was their employers or someone else's.

And therein lies the rub...

> On Mar 4, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>> An employer of a potential committer feels unable to sign the CCLA. I'm wondering
how best to address this with their legal department.

>> Their issue is with Section 5:
>>
>> "You represent that each of Your Contributions is Your original creation (see section
7 for submissions on behalf of others)."

The employer is granting license where each contribution does represent
their original creation.  If the ICLA holder commits -anything else- other
than their employers code, that act is on them, and this does not/should not
represent a liability, and their concerns should be moot.  I'd encourage them
to read the CCLA in parallel to the ICLA, since the ICLA is the document that
binds each of their employees individually and in conjunction to the CCLA...

...unless you are talking about a *code grant*.  If a corporation presents us
with a collection of code, labels it AL 2.0, and asks us to be the custodian
through that grant, they *are* claiming it is theirs to offer under their choice
of license.