www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patented Apache Module
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 17:57:36 GMT
On 3/1/2011 5:00 AM, vallabh p wrote:
> Thanks, Paul. Just to clarify, does that mean an Apache module may be developed and deployed
under a proprietary license? I suppose a commercially licensed module will not be included
within the official distribution.

Sure, it may be.  And no, the ASF would not accept such a contribution, only
software offered under an Apache License 2.0 would be accepted for the ASF's
distribution.  Note that it contains a patent license clause, please read it
carefully (and have your patent lawyer reread it) before you offer such code
under an Apache License.

You were never entirely clear, most responses are to you as the owner of the
patent and assume you have the right to license it.  If the patent is owned
by another and you do not have legal license or right to grant a license to
the patent (and you aren't affected, not being in the US or a signatory that
recognizes US patents) then you would do your users a great service by very
clearly noting the existence of the patent in your README and/or NOTICE file.
In any case, if you cannot grant the license under the Apache License 2.0
terms, don't submit this code to the ASF for consideration.