www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:52:38 GMT

On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:50 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 23:30, Smiley, David W. <dsmiley@mitre.org> wrote:
>> When you say "downstream users expect Apache-licensed code", ... I thought you were
clear on understanding what my proposed patch would do.  Lucene/Solr is Apache-licensed code
and so is my patch.  The downstream user would not need anything more unless they want specific
optional functionality (I'd guess 1% of users).  If so they would have to go get JTS themselves,
or download the Lucene/Solr source and run a build which will grab it for them but they still
need to actually put it in the right place for how they choose to run Lucene/Solr.

> I'm pretty sure that I undestand, from your explanation. And I believe
> it is "okay" policy-wise. I simply think that it is a mistake for a
> PMC to create any sort of dependency upon code that is more
> restrictive than the Apache License. In this case, it means somebody
> must grab LGPL code in order to build our provided tarball. I would
> strongly advise against such a build dependency, whether the runtime
> requires it or not.

I'd be a little more lax to fit with the optional dependency statement on resolved.html.
That statement could just as easily apply to code under the GPL as the LGPL. Downloading code
that includes a reference to a class licensed under the GPL would/coutd trigger (depending
on who you ask) the GPL's requirement that all the code be licensed under the GPL. With truly
optional features - i.e. the user can choose to download the component or not - this is less
of a problem since the component can be appropriately documented.  Of course, this is not
true of the LGPL. So, despite your statement that the license doesn't matter, it does.  This
is why the ASF tries to be very careful in what it does and does not allow.

Ralph