www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Building ASL code requiring LGPL 3rd party
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 04:12:31 GMT
On Mar 30, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Smiley, David W. wrote:

> When you say "downstream users expect Apache-licensed code", ... I thought you were clear
on understanding what my proposed patch would do.  Lucene/Solr is Apache-licensed code and
so is my patch.

You're proposing to a contribute a patch to an ASF code base, where your patch includes compile
time dependencies on LGPL code that are clearly identified on this page:

http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

As software that is a Category X license, specifically:

"The LGPL is ineligible primarily due to the restrictions it places on larger works, violating
the third license criterion. Therefore, LGPL-licensed works must not be included in Apache
products."

That seems pretty clear to me.

>  The downstream user would not need anything more unless they want specific optional
functionality (I'd guess 1% of users).

Where did you pull that # from? I'd be shocked if only 1% of the users of Lucene and Solr
care about spatial search? If it's that unpopular it's amazing that it came up as a bullet
to include in the release announcement for Lucene/Solr 3.1:

http://s.apache.org/tD

>  If so they would have to go get JTS themselves, or download the Lucene/Solr source and
run a build which will grab it for them but they still need to actually put it in the right
place for how they choose to run Lucene/Solr.

But they'd have a contrib module in their source distribution of Lucene/Solr that includes
compile time dependencies on a Category X license, whether they use it or not.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist