www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: Viability of Jenkins entering the ASF
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:24:56 GMT
But precisely signing a grant would not be licensing anything anymore?
Maybe that needs protection from the IP point of view?
(e.g. because it does not compromise the corporate image)

Probably a bigger concern is that if it is known that they have signed the grant they would
recognize the ASF as a valid community for further development such a project?
They certainly can't deny so!

paul

Le 7 févr. 2011 à 23:58, Geir Magnusson Jr. a écrit :

> It became clear to me in my discussions w/ Oracle at the end of the TCK dispute that
there lawyers are very protective of IP, and even more so when it's uncertain what they would
be licensing....

> geir
>
> On Feb 7, 2011, at 5:50 PM, Jérôme Verstrynge wrote:
>
>> About Oracle signing the paperwork to let Jenkins migrate to ASF: the JXTA project
is facing exactly the same issue...

>> In October 2010, Oracle officially announced it withdrew from the JXTA project (not
a surprise). We (the JXTA community) asked to move the code from Apache licence 1.1 to 2.0
and asked them to sign software grant for the transfer to ASF under project Chaupal. The answer
was: 'we need to review our IP'. After nearly 5 months, we still have not received an answer.
Oracle needs 5 months to check their IP? Yeah, sure...!!!

>> Oracle is in conflict with ASF on Java TCK. Hudson is in conflict with Oracle regarding
Jenkins. We are not in conflict with Oracle and obtained nothing from Oracle. Hence, I hardly
believe Jenkins will obtain anything from Oracle. I am not saying Jenkins should not try,
but chances are slim...

>> My 2 cents,
>>
>> Jérôme Verstrynge
>>

>> On 7/02/2011 2:16, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> I'd guess that there's ZERO chance of ORCA going along with this.
>>>
>>> That said, I'm all for it.  Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
>>>
>>> geir

to the ASF. This is at an early stage right now and it is not at all clear if they will do
so. However, there may be a legal block to this and I'd just like to run it past legal-discuss

may not refuse. I'm just trying to avoid a pointless conversation if we would be unable to
work this.