www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache project moving externally
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 19:15:20 GMT
2011/2/4 "C. Bergström" <codestr0m@osunix.org>:
> William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>>
>> On 2/4/2011 10:57 AM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
>>

>>> There's an Apache project that has somewhat stalled in development and a
>>> small group of
>>> developers are interested to take up ownership.  Has a handover ever been
>>> known to happen
>>> or is such a thing possible if the leaders for the project agree to it?
>>>  By this I mean
>>> like transferring some rights over to SPI or another FOSS oriented
>>> non-profit.
>>>

>> Sam gave you good feedback.  One thing he didn't address was 'ownership'.
>>

> This is of my own personal curiosity and not related to my original question
> ------------
> I do realize that the ASF doesn't in fact take copyright assignment.  It was
> however my understanding [1] that the ASF's individual and corporate
> contributor agreement is a superset of rights compared to the APL.  Thus I
> thought the ASF can at it's discretion move to a newer version of the APL if
> desired.

With the rights from the CLAs and software grants... yes, we can
pretty much license the code however we like.

But. We cannot transfer those rights to individuals or corporations.
We can only transfer them to another non-profit.

This is why you can use/fork our code to a new project, but must
continue to respect the Apache License on it. Your new work within the
codebase can be licensed however you like, of course. If that is
different from ALv2, then you'll simply have a mixed-license codebase.
The ALv2 is compatible with most licenses, so that isn't necessarily a
problem. But you cannot remove/swap the license on the ASF code that
you lift into your own codebase.

And as mentioned elsewhere, and it bears repeating: if the codebase
here is stalling (which?), then I bet they'd definitely welcome your
interest! (and if not, then I *really* want to know which one!)

Cheers,
-g