www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jennifer O'Neill" <jennifer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: code contribution licensing question
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2011 06:22:08 GMT
The purpose of having all committers sign the ICLA is so that all "Apache"
code is licensed uniformly and ASF is better protected if there's a
challenge to the ownership of the IP.
If a developer wishes to contribute some material amount of code but can't
sign the ICLA, then his/her code contribution is evaluated just like any
other third-party code licensed under terms other than the ASL v.2.0.  I
assume that by the modified BSD, you mean the newer version that excludes
the advertising clause.  This license is compatible with the ASL v.2.0 and
there are certainly a number of Apache projects with dependencies on
BSD-licensed code.  Ultimately, though, it is up to the VCL project
committers whether to use any third-party code.

If a developer wants to contribute a patch or bug fix through Bugzilla or
the developers' mailing list, both of those forums require that the
developer first electronically agree that ASL v.2.0 will apply to the
submission.

Cheers,
Jennifer