www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Include patch from "annonymous" contributer which was submitted by someone else
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2011 14:52:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Norman Maurer <norman@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi legal-team,
>
> I would like to ask you for some advice. The JAMES project received a
> contribution yesterday from someone which state that the code is not
> from him but from someone else who wants to be anonymous.
>
> See here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMAP-250
>
> In fact I know the submitter of the patch and the "original" author of
> it. The original author don't want stay annonymous because of some
> personal interests. So the main question is are we allowed to commit
> such contributions to the apache svn or not?

On that JIRA, I see the name "Wojtek Strzalka".  I presume that this
is a pseudonym?

We require all committers to sign an ICLA.  I invite you to review section 7:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt

The way I would recommend that we proceed is that we get an ICLA from
this individual with his or her real name, and that we keep such in
our private foundation records.  All external references will be using
the pseudonym.

> Thanks,
> Norman
>
> JAMES PMC Chair.