www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Something to review/refute/ignore
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2011 06:02:48 GMT
The progression has been such:

First this showed up early this morning:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/oops-android-contains-directly-copied-java-code-strengthening/

Then late this afternoon:

http://m.zdnet.com/blog/burnette/oops-no-copied-java-code-or-weapons-of-mass-destruction-found-in-android/2162

Which basically outlines that the "copied source code" was accidental
by Google and never distributed. It also makes some observations that
the original report was by someone who is neither a lawyer or
developer and had no real expertise to comment on random source code
issues. Then some other random person had this to say:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/android-source-code-java-and-copyright-infringement-whats-go/

Which basically asserts that it doesn't matter if it was an accident,
it was a violation so its all crazy and a judge must be involved to
make a decision.

All three links are from Gruber's twitter feed and I'll quote his quote:

As the saying goes, “A lie can travel halfway around the world while
the truth is putting on its shoes.” [1, 2]

I'm not too familiar on the fine details of the whole issue, but this
particular story arc happened fairly quickly throughout the day. So
far my favorite quote from this particular bit of press could be
paraphrased like "Why the hell would Google pay $6 billion for Groupon
after not buying Sun for $5 billion?" (forget where I saw that)

[1] http://daringfireball.net/linked/2011/01/21/android-copied-code
[2] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Twain#Truth