www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Trademark policy about software plugin names
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:09:15 GMT
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> An existing example is the "Tomcat Maven Plugin" here:
>
>    http://mojo.codehaus.org/tomcat-maven-plugin/

As usual, I am loath to comment about specific ASF trademarks on a public
list. So I'd rather encourage some discussion of the ways that we all use
"Java" to describe our products even though JAVA is a registered trademark
of Sun/Oracle. (See registration # 2178784 on the USPTO trademarks data
base.)

Now also do a search on the Apache website for "Java".

Perhaps it would be hypocritical of us to complain too loudly if others use
some of our ASF trademarks in the ways that ASF uses the Java trademarks? On
the other hand, speeding by some drivers is not a license to speed. I'm
interested to hear your thoughts about the ways that our software community
uses trademarks to imply compatibility or utility.

/Larry

<snip>