www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JIRA @ Codehaus
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 02:23:26 GMT
Answering inline as I've some history on this subject.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:
> Why is the JIRA for Maven hosted @ Codehaus instead of here
> at the ASF?

Legacy. I can't remember if Maven's JIRA was going before the ASF
JIRA, but it's been that way for years. Many of the Maven 2 related
projects (plugins, core system) are at Codehaus.

While you can migrate projects now, it's a new feature and not an easy
one. Migrating Maven in would a) be complicated due to its size and
involve work on Codehaus and their outsourced hosting's part, adding
more complexiy, and b) would separate the Maven community into 'at
Apache' and 'not at Apache'.

On the ASF JIRA side; discussing the migration of the many Maven JIRA
projects was put as a 'once we've merged all our JIRAs' topic.
Probably something to discuss in Vancouver.

> And, from what I can tell, there is no checkbox
> or anything else within the JIRA submission process that
> makes it clear that any code/patch attached is licensed to
> the ASF, so how is that tracked?

Bugzilla also lacks the checkbox. Section 5 of the Apache license
makes it clear that code/patches are licensed appropriately and we
have never mandated that there must be a checkbox.

I'll leave the PMC to discuss when they request a software grant for a patch.

> Also, I'd like to see the normal, standard disclaimer[1] on
> the footers, ala tomcat.apache.org.

I assume you mean you'd like the footers on maven.apache.org?

> PS: Oh, and irc is hosted by Codehaus too...

Apache doesn't offer irc hosting, and much of the Maven/Apache-Java
community were already logged onto Codehaus IRC.

> PPS: But at least you host the mailing lists and SVN repo here...
>     so that's *something* at least.

The foundation mandates that, either officially or through strong
implication [thus our frowning on forums]. ;)

> PPPS: As the Email address may indicate, this email is with my
>      ASF hat on, and under my role of President.

Role(Hen) = Lurker

> 1. Apache Maven, Maven, Apache, the Apache feather, and the Apache Maven project logo
are trademarks of the Apache Software Foundation.

[I wonder if Apache Software Foundation should be a trademark of the
Apache Software Foundation? :) ]

On the trademark subject; this site is interesting (and amusing for
its incorrect use of the copyright symbol):

http://www.emailmaven.com/

Also:

http://www.consilweb.com/cms/
http://www.mavensoftwarelabs.com/