www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Senaka Fernando <sen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stage a Maven Repository with Signed Artifacts to qualify a Release Vote
Date Fri, 24 Dec 2010 21:09:25 GMT
Hi Ralph,

Sorry if the list was wrong. But my intention was to understand the legal
requirements, should there be any. A practice can be followed, but something
that's legally required must be followed.

Yes, you are correct about the release plugin. But, normally a release is
done in a single-go once a vote has been approved; and you should not need
to host a temporary Maven repo to get a vote (for a release) passed (since
that repo will never be the final destination). My concerns are based on a
discussion at [1].

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/n3z5kapk2fykn7rm

Thanks,
Senaka.

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> On Dec 24, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Senaka Fernando wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Normally, it has been a practice to sign release artifacts (binary,
> source, and documentation downloads), to qualify a release vote. But
> however, we have not been staging maven repositories (this only applies to
> projects that use a Maven-based build system) with signed artifacts in order
> to qualify a release vote in the past. So far, we only sign the artifacts on
> the public maven repositories when those are deployed.
> >
> > But, has this practice changed over time, along with the recent changes
> to the release process?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Senaka.
>
> I'm not sure why this is on legal discuss, but I believe the release plugin
> signs the artifacts as it deploys them to the ASF staging repository.
>
> Ralph

*Senaka Fernando*
Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org
*
Associate Technical Lead & Product Manager - WSO2 G-Reg;
WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com** <http://apache.org/>

E-mail: senaka AT apache.org
**P: +94 11 223 2481*; *M: +94 77 322 1818
Linked-In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senakafernando
Blog: http://senakafdo.blogspot.com
*