www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JIRA @ Codehaus
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:55:26 GMT

On Dec 16, 2010, at 4:34 AM, Christian Grobmeier wrote:

>> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Why is the JIRA for Maven hosted @ Codehaus instead of here
>>> at the ASF?
>
>> While you can migrate projects now, it's a new feature and not an easy
>> one. Migrating Maven in would a) be complicated due to its size and
>> involve work on Codehaus and their outsourced hosting's part, adding
>> more complexiy, and b) would separate the Maven community into 'at
>> Apache' and 'not at Apache'.
>>
>> On the ASF JIRA side; discussing the migration of the many Maven JIRA
>> projects was put as a 'once we've merged all our JIRAs' topic.
>> Probably something to discuss in Vancouver.
>
> When Maven 3 came out, some people of the german press wrote:
> "Sonatype team has released maven 3" not "the Apache Maven team". I
> think having infrastructure on several places leads to such
> confusions.

I disagree. I think that is more because of the phrasing that certain people use when they
make statements about what is being done.  I saw an example of this on the Maven dev list
just yesterday.

"We, Sonatype, are looking at setting up a third mirror but it doesn't seem tonecessary at
this point in time."

While this is technically correct it creates a perception problem as the Maven PMC has overall
responsibility for Maven Central, although it has delegated the actual management to Sonatype.

Ralph