www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Stage a Maven Repository with Signed Artifacts to qualify a Release Vote
Date Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:14:07 GMT
Donald Woods did a really great writeup about the new release process:

http://incubator.apache.org/bval/cwiki/release-setup.html
http://incubator.apache.org/bval/cwiki/release-process.html

We already successfully used this process in Maven, BVAL, OpenWebBeans, OpenJPA, MyFaces,
CODI, ...

LieGrue,
strub

--- On Sat, 12/25/10, Senaka Fernando <senaka@wso2.com> wrote:

From: Senaka Fernando <senaka@wso2.com>
Subject: Re: Stage a Maven Repository with Signed Artifacts to qualify a Release Vote
To: legal-discuss@apache.org
Date: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 9:06 AM

Hi Ralph, Strub, Benson,

Thanks for the useful information. I will work with the Axis PMC to get the issues rectified.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Thanks,
Senaka.

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Benson Margulies <bimargulies@gmail.com> wrote:

Senaka,

At this point, many of the Maven-built projects do use the built-in

staging capability of the ASF Nexus instance to do just that.  Before

a vote, they run the release plugin all the way, and it pushes the

artifacts, signatures and all, to the auto-genererated staging area

for their project. The URL thereto goes into the vote, and everyone

goes home happy. If the vote passes, we promote the staging repo which

releases it; if it fails, we drop it.

--benson

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Senaka Fernando <senaka@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,

> Sorry if the list was wrong. But my intention was to understand the legal

> requirements, should there be any. A practice can be followed, but something

> that's legally required must be followed.

> Yes, you are correct about the release plugin. But, normally a release is

> done in a single-go once a vote has been approved; and you should not need

> to host a temporary Maven repo to get a vote (for a release) passed (since

> that repo will never be the final destination). My concerns are based on a

> discussion at [1].

> [1] http://markmail.org/thread/n3z5kapk2fykn7rm

> Thanks,

> Senaka.

> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>

> wrote:

>> On Dec 24, 2010, at 7:31 AM, Senaka Fernando wrote:

>> > Hi all,

>> > Normally, it has been a practice to sign release artifacts (binary,

>> > source, and documentation downloads), to qualify a release vote. But

>> > however, we have not been staging maven repositories (this only applies to

>> > projects that use a Maven-based build system) with signed artifacts in order

>> > to qualify a release vote in the past. So far, we only sign the artifacts on

>> > the public maven repositories when those are deployed.

>> > But, has this practice changed over time, along with the recent changes

>> > to the release process?

>> > Thanks,

>> > Senaka.

>> I'm not sure why this is on legal discuss, but I believe the release

>> plugin signs the artifacts as it deploys them to the ASF staging repository.

>> Ralph

> --

> Senaka Fernando

> Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org

> Associate Technical Lead & Product Manager - WSO2 G-Reg;

> WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com

> E-mail: senaka AT apache.org

> P: +94 11 223 2481; M: +94 77 322 1818

> Linked-In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senakafernando

> Blog: http://senakafdo.blogspot.com

Senaka Fernando

Associate Technical Lead & Product Manager - WSO2 G-Reg;
WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com

Member; Apache Software Foundation; http://apache.org

E-mail: senaka AT wso2.com
P: +1 408 754 7388; ext: 51736; M: +94 77 322 1818

Linked-In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/senakafernando

Lean . Enterprise . Middleware