www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Fair-use data in svn
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:07:12 GMT
I write code in some areas where 'real world' textual data is fuel.
It's test cases. It's training corpora. It cannot be replaced by
constructed, test-tube, text that could be created under the AL or
some other 'class A' license.

I'd like to contribute some of that data here at ASF. In some cases,
that would require checking in test case data that consists of (for
example) miscellaneous web pages grabbed with wget. In other cases, it
might consist of larger collections of text derived from such pages.

I would like to discover that this is acceptable, perhaps with some
caveats and requirements for NOTICE.