www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:37:18 GMT
Folks,

What I think we've established here is that a certain category of NLP
tasks can't really be undertaken at Apache in the usual way. I'm not
saying that this the end of the world or that it's not worthwhile to
try to undertake them in some other way.

The NLP research community has 'been there and done that' in terms of
trying to clear rights to corpora. It's not necessarily impossible in
all cases, but it's not by any means guaranteed to be possible when
you need it to be possible.

It's an interesting limit, perhaps, on open source: as a commercial
enterprise, I use a spider and grab all the visible content of the
web, with no regard for copyright, and so long as I don't turn around
and publish that text, I have essentially no legal exposure. I can do
statistics on it, train models on it, etc. Perhaps a content
publisher, if they knew that I had used a large amount of their data,
would take issue and ask me to pay something, and then perhaps we'd
have a discussion of fair use, or perhaps we'd pay.

For the immediate project I'm working on, I'll just push it to github
after making my own personal (or corporate) determination of legal
risk of being accused of unfair use of a bag of web pages, in a
compressed tar file, is in a public source control repository. For the
proposed OpenNLP podling, this will put some boundaries on them, but
they might be happy to only check in code and 'cleared' corpora, and
leave it to their users to apply the code to more interesting corpora.

--benson