www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:56:25 GMT
> There is no exception in copyright infringement law that allows you to copy other people's
copyrighted materials and distribute them on an Apache website, no matter how upstanding the
goals, without a license. Ask permission first.

It won't be on an apache web site. It will be in a zip file in svn,
read by (for example) a unit test. That seems a relevant distinction
to me, but YAAL, not me.

> If you intend to rely on a fair use defense, don't count on it without analyzing the
fair use factors carefully. I'll work with you on that analysis if you can't find a better
alternative for generating test data.

> If these really are "miscellaneous" web pages, why can't you create a test consisting
of links to the actual pages? Must you copy the pages themselves?

You can't make a repeatable process that depends on ephemeral content
-- and this content is always ephemeral -- sitting there when you want
it.