www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 02:13:25 GMT
Larry, if we ignore, for the moment, the issue of 'publishing' via
checking text into a public svn, there's a question of fair use which
I don't feel illuminated on after reading your article.

If I absorb a stack of copyrighted material, and run it through a
statistical process, and then hand out the result, have I 'used' it at
all, fairly or otherwise? The constitutional principle and following
discussion all seems to be discussing 'information in, recognizable
derivative of information out.' In an extreme case, if I make a chart
of the frequencies of all the letters in a copyrighted work, and
publish the resulting chart, what's the situation?