www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <spamassas...@dostech.ca>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 03:34:07 GMT
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Joe Schaefer<joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> The SpamAsssassin stuff lives in a virtual host provided
>> by Apache.  That is how I would go about acquiring the
>> copyrighted content without redistributing it to anyone
>> other than those with an account on the virtual host.
>
> How do we decide who gets an account?

In our case it's been mainly PMC members or a couple of committers we
trust not to screw things up.... which is pretty much the entire project
(we're pretty small).  There's about a dozen people with access and I
don't think we've every turned anyone down for an account (or felt the
need to).

>>> From: Benson Margulies<bimargulies@gmail.com>
>>> infringement? The spamassasin example seems apposite, and I wish  that
>>> Daryl would give more details about where the ham is kept and who  has
>>> access to it, and what legal determination went into setting up  the
>>> whole  business.

As Joe noted some of the ham is on the virtual host provided by Apache.
  The majority of it, though, is kept by the "owners", well recipients,
of the ham on their own personal hosts.

Our mass-check software (that generates log files of what anti-spam
rules match against ham/spam messages identified by message ID or
mailbox filename) is run against the ham/spam corpora either on people's
personal hosts or on the Apache hosted virtual server every night.  The
only reason we have some ham/spam on the Apache hosted virtual machine
is for the people who do not have access to their own CPU cycles for
doing this analysis every night (it's quite CPU intensive as we run
SpamAssassin against millions of messages on a much larger ruleset than
what is published for general use).

Daryl