www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <spamassas...@dostech.ca>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 02:27:10 GMT
On 05/11/2010 9:23 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Friday 05 November 2010 8:39:12 am Sim IJskes wrote:
>> You cannot copy verbatim. But you can create and publish the tools. You
>> can also create a internal representation, say a neural net, or
>> statistics, and provide annotations, as long as it something new.
>>
>> So if you crawl the net, and build a statistics model of it, you can
>> distribute the staticstics model data as your own.
>
> That's kind of what I was thinking.   Doesn't Spamassassin do something
> similar.   They have a zone/jail someplace that collects a lot of copyrighted
> spam data and runs various analysis on it and such and then commits the
> results of said analysis into the repository.

Yeah, I suppose we do.  We collect ham (which I suppose would be
copyrighted) and spam (which in many cases is ilegal itself, so I'm not
sure about copyright protection for that) and then run statistical
analysis on it (rule hits, rule generation, etc) with rules and scores
generated and published in the repository.

I think our case differs a little more, though, in that people send us
the data (via email)... we don't go out and collect it.  In any case,
though, we're not publishing the actual ham and spam mail.

Daryl