www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes <sijs...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 13:39:41 GMT
On 05-11-10 14:20, Benson Margulies wrote:
> The purpose of this email thread was to question if the ASF could find
> a *legal* path to do, collectively, what companies and academics do
> individually currently. If the answer to that is 'no', then looking to
> get permissions from content sources is a logical next step.

It would be a perfect opportunity for those companies, who possibly make
use of ASF software for years, to get in the spotlight for cooperating
with and contributing to the ASF, and sponsor our efforts in this way.

Something for the publicity department? My checklist in this case would be:
- verify the software works technically
- verify the software has benefits for the contributor
- ask for permission

But, it is a quite different from the workings of the ASF, because to me
it looks in this case more like a trusted intermediary, where the ASF
gets permission for dataming on thirdparty material, and is the
publisher for the derived results. Nobody would be able to verify the
results without obtaining similar licenses. This would be in contrast
with the transparency of other ASF processes, but i couldnt find a
specific reference to an article on the ASF site where this was mandated.

Gr. Sim