www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes <sijs...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:29:00 GMT
On 05-11-10 09:56, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Re: explicit permission. I'd only consider going through that trouble
> if we're talking about really substantial amounts of data. If I
> understood correctly, Benson was only looking for things like a few
> representative pages per site, so the "amount and substantiality"
> criteria for fair use would clearly be met and no explicit permission
> should be needed.

I'm new here, so thats why i'm persuing this a bit.

Isn't the ASF about a simple almost maintenance free licensing system?
There was talk about CNN, a company that relies only on copyright law to
protect their business. Shouldn't we steer away from issues that are
just in or out of fair use? Fair use has a strong possibility of beeing
tested in court. Whe are in the business of creating software instead of
jurisprudence. In practical terms, we cannot guard against a user
posting unlicensed products in our jira, but when a member of the ASF
starts exploring the boundaries of copyright law by posting such a
product, i dought we can excercise the excuse of good faith.

If you agree i would propose a slogan:

"Never copy without a license. If you can't get it, forget it!"

Gr. Sim