www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sim IJskes <sijs...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fair-use data in svn
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 09:15:43 GMT
On 11/05/2010 09:56 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Sim IJskes<sijskes@apache.org>  wrote:
>> Wouldn't data publicly accesible in jira be just another case of
>> redistribution? And by this falling within the scope of copyright
>> in many jurisdictions?
>
> Sure, but the "purpose and character" of a Jira attachment is much
> more limited than that of an official Apache release. Plus the need
> for explicitly documenting the licensing status is much more relaxed.
> We have lots of non-licensed Jira attachments that (at least to my
> layman mind) clearly fall within fair use for research purposes.

I'm a layman;

Isn't the distinction here that we are not talking about an original
contribution, made by the author, but with an artifact that is nothing
more then an aggregation of public available material? In the
jurisdiction i live under (The Netherlands), this will expose you to
legal actions. If you want to know more, look at the 'Knipselkrant-arrest'.

Gr. Sim