www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Fair-use data in svn
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:51:09 GMT
Benson Margulies wrote:
> I would like to discover that this is acceptable, perhaps with some
> caveats and requirements for NOTICE.

There is no exception in copyright infringement law that allows you to copy other people's
copyrighted materials and distribute them on an Apache website, no matter how upstanding the
goals, without a license. Ask permission first.

If you intend to rely on a fair use defense, don't count on it without analyzing the fair
use factors carefully. I'll work with you on that analysis if you can't find a better alternative
for generating test data.

If these really are "miscellaneous" web pages, why can't you create a test consisting of links
to the actual pages? Must you copy the pages themselves?

/Larry