www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Question about Maven IDLJ plugin
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:16:43 GMT
Hey Sam,

> A few questions:
>
> 1) Is OODT planning on distributing the Maven IDLJ plugin itself?

Nopers. We just have a build-time dependency on it to generate stub classes.

> 2) Am I correct in reading the POM in stating that jacorb is required
> to build OODT?

Well that's the rub. The Maven IDLJ plugin is required to build 2 of OODT's
modules: the profile and the product server. The build-time execution
configuration of the IDLJ plugin selects the jacorb IDL compiler per its
configuration [3] option. I think we can also use the idlj (Sun's IDL
compiler) as a selection option either, but haven't tried.

I think when the Maven IDLJ plugin is specified to use jacorb, that it uses
Jacorb to generate the IDL, but I'm not sure *how* it uses jacorb: i.e.,
does it do it like Mark Struberg suggested (i.e., just runtime execution),
or does it depend on jacorb libs.

Looking at:

http://mojo.codehaus.org/idlj-maven-plugin/dependencies.html

It doesn't seem like Jacorb is an explicit dependency. I also scanned the
pom here:

http://svn.codehaus.org/mojo/trunk/mojo/idlj-maven-plugin/pom.xml

And didn't see any explicit dependency on jacorb either.

Finally, I did see: http://s.apache.org/uB

But in there it tries to load the class:

org.jacorb.idl.parser

With a Java Class.forName call, and I'm guessing it assumes it's already on
the classpath. So it doesn't look like that code has an explicit runtime
dependency on Jacorb.

I just found how it works though:

In the OODT profile and product server, in the Maven2 pom.xml file, we
define:

    <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>idlj-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <goals>
              <goal>generate</goal>
            </goals>
          </execution>
        </executions>

  And then eventually:

        <dependencies>
          <dependency>
          <groupId>org.jacorb</groupId>
          <artifactId>jacorb-idl-compiler</artifactId>
          <version>2.2.3</version>
          </dependency>
       </dependencies>

So it looks like we wire it up to use the jacorb idl-compiler in our Maven2
pom.xml, and it's a build-time execution dependency that the Maven IDLJ
plugin uses to be able to find the Class.forName("org.jacorb.idl.parser") on
the classpath.

> 3) I presume that IDL compilers produce a number of output files given
> one or more input files.  What licenses are those output files under?

I just realized something.

Sigh.

Sorry to have made you get all the way down to here only to realize that in
fact, we don't depend on IDL anymore :( The pre-Apache version of OODT used
to have *.idl file definitions inside of src/main/idl for our profile and
product and query server components, but when I ported them over to Apache,
I explicitly removed the src/main/idl folder b/c I felt it was too old to
maintain. They aren't present anymore in:

http://svn.apahce.org/repos/asf/incubator/oodt/trunk/{profile|product}

*What I forgot to do though* was to remove the IDL parts of our pom.xml
files in those projects. So in fact, we don't even need those declarations
in there, and this conversation is really moot :(

Sorry Sam, David, Mark and others for wasting everyone's time. I'm going to
remove the plugin dependencies in OODT profile and product server's pom.xml
files and be done with this!

Thanks, again.

Cheers,
Chris