www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Accepting Patches : JIRA versus Mailing List
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 08:49:11 GMT
On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> On 14/09/2010 05:09, Luciano Resende wrote:
>> Currently, a lot of projects in Apache accepts patches via JIRA, which
>> has a checkbox that grant permission to add the contribution into ASF
>> works (as per the Apache License §5). Does §5 also implies that code
>> submitted to user/development mailing lists have the same granting
>> mechanism ?
>>
> ...Yes, a patch submitted via a mailing list is a "Contribution
> intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work" and is covered by
> ALv2 section 5....

I'm not sure if "intentionally" is obvious in this case.

If someone sends a patch to a mailing list saying "let me show you the
patch that we had to apply to make things work in our project", they
could argue later that they didn't intend for that patch to be
included in the project's code, they were just showing it to explain
the problem.

I'd go with JIRA unless people explicitly state their intention when
sending their patch to a mailing list.

-Bertrand